Welcome to my (Claire)’s first blog. I know it sounds strange but the other day I realized I have never loved our shower like I do my shed shower…why? Glad you asked.
Here are my reasons all organised in dot points:
1. We made it from scratch including sheeting, proofing and designing an original genuine one and only shower from things we have bought cheap or recycled. The floor was made from aluminum with grids on it like workmen use on their utes. We had it bent up on the sides and creased so water can go down the drain. The walls are made from recycled packers which have been water-proofed then two pieces of a white composite sign sheeting material water proofed. We used this instead of glass or tiles for reduced cost and a great time saver to get it finished and sealed. The taps and spray part were seconds from a shop. Finally there are 2 very bright and water design shower curtains were purchased new from Ikea.
2. The water is mostly from the river so is super cheap… yes it is a bit brown but you can’t see it in shower! I say mostly as we can change it over to rain water when we have surplus and there is more expected.
3. The hot water is heated using the sun or the water booster wet back of our wood fireplace depending on the season… so again basically free and we haven’t run out of hot water yet.
4. I can have a quick cold shower 3 or 4 times a day when it is really hot (37 degrees yesterday, 38 today and 36 tomorrow) and not feel too guilty.
5. I guess it acts as our air conditioner or way to survive summer in the Riverland with no air conditioning. We all shower just before bed then go to bed damp to allow our fans to cool us enough to sleep.
6. It is also huge so one child can be going out one side while the other is going in the other side which makes showers quicker in the end.
So there you go, I can’t believe how much I love that shower!!
One day come and check it out and let us know what you think.